Randomized phase III trial of high-dose-intensity methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin (MVAC) chemotherapy and recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor versus classic MVAC in advanced urothelial tract tumors: European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Protocol no. 30924.
SourceJournal of Clinical Oncology, 19, 10, (2001), pp. 2638-2646
Article / Letter to editor
Display more detailsDisplay less details
Journal of Clinical Oncology
SubjectExperimental diagnostics and therapy of malignancies; Urological oncology; Urologische oncologie
PURPOSE: This randomized trial evaluated antitumor activity of and survival asociated with high-dose-intensity chemotherapy with methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin (MVAC) plus granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (HD-MVAC) versus MVAC in patients with advanced transitional-cell carcinoma (TCC). PATIENTS AND METHODS: A total of 263 patients with metastatic or advanced TCC who had no prior chemotherapy were randomized to HD-MVAC (2-week cycles) or MVAC (4-week cycles). RESULTS: Using an intent-to-treat analysis, at a median follow-up of 38 months, on the HD-MVAC arm there were 28 complete responses (CRs) (21%) and 55 partial responses (PRs) (41%), for an overall response of 62% (95% confidence interval [CI], 54% to 70%). On the MVAC arm, there were 12 CRs (9%) and 53 PRs (41%), for an overall response of 50% (95% CI, 42% to 59%). The P value for the difference in CR rate was.009; and for the overall response, it was.06. There was no statistically significant difference in survival (P =.122) or time to progression (P =.114). Progression-free survival was significantly better with HD-MVAC (P=.037; hazard ratio.75; 95% CI.58 to.98). The median progression-free survival time was 9.1 months on the HD-MVAC arm versus 8.2 months on the MVAC arm. The 2-year progression-free survival rate was 24.7% for HD-MVAC (95% CI, 17.1% to 32.3%) versus 11.6% for MVAC (95% CI, 5.9% to 17.4%). CONCLUSION: With HD-MVAC, it was possible to deliver twice the doses of cisplatin and doxorubicin in half the time, with fewer dose delays and less toxicity. Although a 50% difference in median overall survival was not detected, a benefit was observed in progression-free survival, CR rates, and overall response rates with HD-MVAC.
Upload full text
Use your RU credentials (u/z-number and password) to log in with SURFconext to upload a file for processing by the repository team.